Friday, July 23, 2010

I LOVE Cake!!

When my husband and I first met 11 years ago I swear that i was totally unprepared for REAL life. I had no cooking or cleaning abilities. I truly believed that soup came from a can and cake came from a box. After many years and many miserably failed attempts at cooking (mostly in the first 4 years of our relationship) things have changed dramatically.
Our daughter was born when I was 23 and I decided that if I was going to be a stay at home mom.. I was going to be a rock star at it! I got many cooking lessons on the weekends (from my awesome hubby) and slowly but surely my skills improved.. now I feel like an expert.. people ask ME for recipes!
One of our favorite recipes is yellow cake from scratch! No hydrogenated oils or corn syrup here! Here is the recipe along with some variations to really mix it up!

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 3 small round pans, two large round pans or one 1/4 sheet pan
2. Cream together softened butter and sugar. Incorporate eggs one at a time (I like to leave mine on the counter to get to room temperature before I use them.. makes the cake moister)
3. Add in vanilla (even if you forget the vanilla it is still super yummy!)
4. In separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt until combined
5. Mix in flour and milk into the wet ingredients starting and ending with flour
6. Pour into greased pans
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean. This varies depending on the amount of cake pans used and your oven
We love to take this cake and eat it right out of the pans.. but we have also made some slamming cakes with it too! Here are some examples:
1. Make chocolate icing (from scratch of coure) and top with sprinkles
2. Make vanilla pudding to put between the layers. Add strawberries. Top with homemade whipped cream and blueberries for a light cake
3. This is my rock star cake.. very impressive! Make whipped cream into the consistency of butter. Put aside. Then make chocolate ganache out of chocolate chips and half and half. Let the ganache cool. Layer the cake with the whipped cream in the middle and on top. The take the cooled ganache and pour over the top. It will look like a boston cream pie but tastes like it came from the bakery!

Love
Pinkapotamus


No comments:

Post a Comment