Friday, July 30, 2010

Crafting Challenges (Day #5)

By nature I have found that I am a competitive person (mostly with myself).  This was something that I did not know about me until I began running about 2 years ago.  At my first race, I remember being sooo nervous that I had to use the bathroom at least 3 times before the race even began.  I finished the 5K in 24:30 and came in 7th for my age.  That was good.. but I knew that I could do better so I trained harder for my next race and came in at the same time in a much bigger race.  By the time I got to my 3rd race I had come in 2nd!  By my fourth I took 1st!  After that I decided that it was time to work on a much bigger goal, so for my 31st birthday I signed up for a 1/2 marathon.  I know what you are thinking .. this chick is crazy and I agree that I had the same thoughts but I just kept training until I could run the full 13.1 miles on hills in any weather.  Then in May the big day came and I killed my practice times by a full 15 minutes and came in at 1 hour 48 minutes! Woot!

Now in crafting its Race Day.   My current challenges are as follows:

1.  Create a worthy submission for the Iron Crafter Challenge at Fireflies and Jelly Beans.  (I have my idea!)
2.  Make a tricycle diaper cake for a shower gift.
3.  Design a communion centerpiece and party favors for the cutest baby I know.
4.  Create a shower gift for my neighbors first Granddaughter (I have the best neighbors EVER!)
5. Make my daughter a dress and a nightgown for her 8th birthday!

I finished one of my challenges.  I have been invited to the Baby Shower for my neighbors granddaughter.. since she has forbidden me to spend any money on a gift I had to dig into my stock and pull out a project.  Here is a tutorial on how to make a Butterfly memo board!  Hope you like it!

First I started with the memo board. It is a plain one with an unfinished wood frame.  I painted mine pink.


Then I used a cereal box to make myself a template of butterflies in different sizes.  I cut them out of scrapbook paper (doublesided).



I picked out the letters in my case.. Kailey Madison and then folded each of the butterflies so that they would look like they were in flight.  I added glue to the letters and pasted them onto the board. 





Voila!  Baby shower gift made from items I had kicking around the house.  Sometimes being a craft hoarder really pays off!

Wish me luck in my upcoming challenges.
Love,
Pinkapotamus

4 comments:

  1. How cute!! Found you at simplydesigning's linky! Come check my blog out and flower cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! And without spending a dime! Excellent!

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it..Great job!! I’m Barb… I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will take a peek and follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. floated in here from another blog... this is just adorable! your birthday cakes are cool too. the kids will always remember the cool cakes you made them (even if you're critical of your own work).

    nice :) keep on creating!

    ~ ana

    ReplyDelete